As the winter air becomes crisp and the days shorter, your skincare routine, including the aftercare for any neurotoxin treatments, needs a little extra attention.
Scroll deeper for an essential guide to maintaining and maximizing the effects of your treatment this winter.
What are Neurotoxins?
Neurotoxins are a group of medical substances used as muscle relaxants to temporarily reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles. They block nerve signals to the muscles, preventing them from contracting and causing lines and wrinkles.
Commonly known for their brand names — Botox®, Xeomin®, and Dysport® — these treatments are celebrated for their ability to smooth moderate to severe glabellar lines, crow’s feet, and forehead creases, contributing to a more youthful and relaxed appearance.
Different Types of Neurotoxins
Here at Luxe Medical Aesthetics, we offer three of the most popular and effective neurotoxins to date:
- Botox®. Perhaps the most well-known neurotoxin, Botox® has been a staple in cosmetic medicine for years, offering reliable results for a wide range of wrinkles.
- Xeomin®. Often referred to as the pure form of neurotoxin, Xeomin® contains just one ingredient, making it a good choice for those who have developed resistance to other neurotoxins.
- Dysport®. Known for its ability to spread a bit more than Botox®, Dysport® can be ideal for treating larger areas like the forehead while still providing precise results.
Aftercare Tips During Winter
If you’ve recently received injections of Botox®, Xeomin®, or Dysport® to keep those moderate to severe glabellar lines or crow’s feet at bay, understanding how to care for your skin during the colder months is very important:
- Stay Hydrated. The dry winter air can dehydrate your skin, potentially affecting the longevity of your neurotoxin treatment. Drink plenty of water and use a quality moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated from the inside out.
- Avoid Extreme Cold. Just as you protect your skin from the summer sun, shield it from the harsh winter cold, which can irritate recently treated areas. Cover up with a scarf or hat when temperatures drop.
- Skip the Ski Trip. Avoid strenuous activities, especially those in high-altitude, cold environments, for at least a week after your treatment. Activities like skiing can increase blood pressure and lead to bruising at the injection sites.
- Gentle Skincare. Use gentle, non-irritating skincare products. Harsh winter winds and indoor heating can already stress your skin, so avoid anything that might cause additional irritation.
- Sun Protection. Even in winter, UV rays can damage your skin and affect the results of your treatment. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen daily to protect your skin and maintain the effects of your neurotoxin.
- Follow Up. Schedule a follow-up appointment with Luxe Medical Aesthetics to ensure your treatment is settling as expected and to discuss any concerns you might have.
- Patience is Key. Remember, it can take up to two weeks to see the full effects of your treatment. Be patient and give your skin the time it needs to adjust and reveal the full results.
At LUXE Medical Aesthetics in Katy, TX, we believe in a personalized approach to beauty and wellness. Our team of skilled providers is dedicated to providing you with the highest quality care, from the initial consultation to post-treatment support.
We understand the nuances of neurotoxin treatments and are committed to helping you achieve and maintain the beautiful, long-term results you desire.
Call now and schedule your appointment with us today!