As we age, our skin goes through several changes that can cause it to look dull and wrinkled. These changes include decreased collagen production, reduced elasticity, and slower cell turnover.
The signs of aging can be frustrating and may leave you self-conscious about your appearance. However, there is a solution that can help you rejuvenate your skin and restore its youthful glow: microneedling.
Keep reading to learn more about microneedling and the best aftercare you can do to maximize the results of your treatment.
What Is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a minimally invasive cosmetic treatment that involves using tiny needles that penetrate the skin to create tiny injuries that trigger the body’s natural healing process, stimulating collagen and elastin production and accelerating cell turnover.
The result is smoother, firmer, and more youthful-looking skin.
The procedure is usually performed by a certified treatment provider and typically takes around 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the treatment area. Before the treatment begins, your provider will cleanse your skin thoroughly and may apply a numbing cream to minimize any discomfort.
Once your skin is properly numbed, your provider will use the microneedling device to create tiny punctures on the surface of your skin by moving it in a back-and-forth motion.
After the microneedling treatment is complete, soothing serum or moisturizer will be applied to help calm your skin and promote healing. You may experience some redness and mild swelling, but this should subside within a few days.
Microneedling is known to be effective for reducing the appearance of various skin concerns, such as acne scars and stretch marks. However, it is essential to follow proper aftercare practices to ensure optimal results and minimize any potential risks.
Best Aftercare After Having Microneedling
Here are some of the best aftercare practices after a microneedling session:
- Keep your skin clean. It is important to keep your skin clean after a microneedling treatment to prevent infection and promote healing. Use a gentle cleanser and avoid any harsh or abrasive products that can irritate your skin.
- Avoid sun exposure. After a microneedling treatment, your skin will be more sensitive than usual. It is crucial to avoid direct sunlight and wear sunscreen to protect your skin from ultraviolet rays.
- Moisturize. Microneedling can cause your skin to become dry and flaky. Apply a gentle, hydrating moisturizer to keep your skin nourished and promote healing.
- Avoid makeup. It is best to avoid wearing makeup for the first 24 to 48 hours after a microneedling treatment. This will allow your skin to heal properly and minimize the risk of infection.
- Don’t pick at your skin. Avoid picking at any scabs or peeling skin that may occur after a microneedling treatment. This can cause further damage and delay the healing process.
- Avoid strenuous activity. It is best to refrain from any heavy exercise or activities that may cause sweating or friction on your skin for at least 24 to 48 hours after a microneedling treatment.
- Follow up with your provider. Your provider may recommend additional treatments or follow-up appointments to ensure optimal results. It is important to follow their recommendations and continue to care for your skin properly during this time.
Improve your skin texture and look more radiant from the inside out with microneedling! Here at LUXE Medical Aesthetics in Katy, TX, our providers have given countless patients beautiful, natural-looking microneedling results in the safest way possible.
Call now and schedule an appointment with us!